Main Menu
Welcome Guest.
Please log in.

*Request* Feedback on Weapon Abilities & Magery

Started by GM NollKoll, April 17, 2014, 12:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mercathane

I think increasing the duration slightly would actually function more as intended.  Slipping for slightly longer might account for some of the extra health.  Your only looking for the bleed to give you time to open up into something else after all.  I am just wary of of how it will affect the bandage slip of pvp if damage is increased, I am not trying to disparage anyone on the forums idea(s).  I hope the spirit of the post does not come across that way.

Players should definitely be taking extra damage from undead slayers while in vamp form etc and the appropriate weaknesses to resist.  Risk vs Reward if someone notices your pasty.

On a seperate note i am aware of several spells in several magic schools either dont work, or don't work like they should.  Its early AM here in the ATL and i got to get moving.  I will test later today and post those as well.  I don't want anyone to think im just here shitting on ideas and not doing legwork myself.
In words are seen the state of mind and character and disposition of the speaker.

~Plutarch

Thatperson

ok ill back down from 150%, the numbers add up but you guys are right, its not so easy to attain that level, although you could build a pure mage suit with kasa, spell britches, holy knight and bracers rather than squeezing 150 onto an "all in one" char, that would give 135 without crystal ring or shroud property (but im gonna shut up about this now :)  ).. 100% would be fine and would match up with the way we were given double bandage healing with healing increase imbue to cover our double health bars..
raising eval effect would work, though it also serves to keep us all the same rather than choosing a specific build, which is why I touched on mind blast specifically as it favours the pure mage.
I see bleed as a heal stopper rather than a damage dealer and I do good work with my cleaver despite its low damage using bleed but id be happy with a bit more bleed damage.
and yes I think vamp form should be a pvm tool only, you should take more damage from undead slayer so that a decision has to be made rather than just living as a vampire, I mean, it can ever resist parasitic poison! and it grants 15 stam regen and 3 mana regen, so it needs a penalty in pvp.. after all, mortal can be spammed all day but poison is limited to charges and can simply be resisted by vamps.

Johana

Hey yall

I have been reading over the thread and all this talk about pvp balance is great.
I'm on the fence for most of the ideas present as all of them sound great but
need to be proven with testing.

Two ideas I have had for a long time are as follows:

Anti Spell Spam System:
- The same spell cast in succession has diminishing returns.  Damage done is 1/2 then 1/4 if cast in a row.  This is only applicable if the spell was cast successfully on the same target and not resisted.

Anti AI Spam:
- By Equipping a shield the AI effect will be negated in PvP combat when damaged is calculated.

Please feel free to comment as there may be a situation I had not considered myself.  (you too Noll as I have no idea if this is even technically possible)

GM NollKoll

Quote from: Johana on April 18, 2014, 05:56:01 PM

Anti Spell Spam System:
- The same spell cast in succession has diminishing returns.  Damage done is 1/2 then 1/4 if cast in a row.  This is only applicable if the spell was cast successfully on the same target and not resisted.

Had an idea i before i suggested to king kong.. Magic Equilibrium.. or magic combo wombo..

Casting the same elemental magic in succession would diminish its dmg, as in fireball then a flamestrike as a example, to a minimum of 30-50%dmg, as a "debuff" for 5 seconds.. BUT... do a combo with spells, as in fire, lightning, poison etc, not the same element in a succession of 4 spells? would increase the dmg of each spell, then you need to make sure which spells you cast while your on your peak of elemental combos...  might be a bit tricky to script but, i thought it was awesome
Its hard to please everyone..
But..
I think i can say im among the best people teaser that exists at the moment.

zaxarus

I am ok with this.

But "Bleed":
If this will become a "vs vamp only" thing i will not use it anymore.
Also it seems that hitting a vamp with undead slayer doesnt do 25% additional damage anymore. Something that was always like that and that is an official thing.
Tys

"My name is my name."

Tyrone Biggums

I like the shield canceling out the AI idea. Would make shields useful once again.

I also think the combo wombo idea is pretty sick.   Not sure how it would work but def sounds like a good idea

Datrav

I think pretty much everything is fine in PVP on Pandora.....you just have to counter what is going on at that moment. Fireball spammers can be interrupted...Ai spammers can be disarmed.....its all about ticks and timing when fighting or playing a mage, so you have to have timing or you dirtnap !!!
Sdi over 100% would be insane on a skilled mage, not really fair vs anything but someone with equal armor/jewels skill etc
Just our Guilds 2 cents on 4/20 :}
Ohh and Happy Easter Pandora !!!!

Mercathane

Im mainly concerned with getting magery and weapon abilities in line with our current health pool. People should be penalized as in the past for letting you freecast on them.  As Datrav alluded to we have weapon abilities that deal with AI.  We have weapon abilities or spell abilities to counter whatever else someone is throwing at us.  If someone is hammerpicking me I am disarming them period. 

I do however disagree that pvp is "fine."  I have no incentive to combo or cast anything past ebolt.  The time to cast a flame strike, explosion, bombard, etc. is not rewarded.  I will do far more damage just standing in someones face and AIing them, or standing in someones face AIing them while my buddy fireball spams them etc. 

If a damage modifier was added to the 6-8th circles and their equivalents magery would become useful again.  Allowing a mage to cast multiple high level spells on you should be a bad idea.  The way archery was changed on this server makes that less than ideal as a primary, magic being weak makes that less usable as a primary, so we are all dexxers that might use a bit of something else.  Instead of the open skills and stats allowing for even more useful "templates" or play styles we are now very limited because nothing is on par with weapon abilities, in particular AI.

I believe it is entirely possibly to bring the damage dealing abilities in line with our current health pool while still keeping spells and abilities in their respective primary lanes. 

Some spells that are fun to use tactically simply don't work.  Thunderstorm does not seem to lower SSI.  Purge Magic Seems to do nothing.  Spell Plague doesn't seem to function correctly.  Essence of wind is another.  I tested these out with a guildy using an unguilded character.  I will post more information on it as I have time.  Been busy this holiday weekend.

In words are seen the state of mind and character and disposition of the speaker.

~Plutarch

Datrav

Mercathane

Thanks Datrav.  KDL is an excellent example of a guild that understands the mechanics of the shard then uses solid teamwork and what i assume is VoIP target calling to make them even more formidable in the field.

That said i believe we can work together to expand the system from what i feel is a very narrow focus.  Its natural to lose some of the options with open stats and skills, but that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be more than one viable path to victory. 

Its disappointing archery has some random miss modifier added as well.  A well prepared archer, not just someone spamming AI from a comp bow should be a force.  If i am able to position myself to dismount you with a heavy, poison your mount and then take advantage of it, have i not earned it?  I will miss of course against similarly geared opponents of similar skill.  This is acceptable.  Adjusting the system was unnecessary due to the fact that you can disarm from range.  If someone is shooting you with a bow, disarm them. 

Pandorians, disarm is a super powerful tool.  Are you using it? The primary and secondary abilities of open hands are disarm and paralyzing blow. Why do you think this is? 

1. Simply test AI at different decreased modifiers.  A reasonable damage can be reached quickly in this way.  It should still be a direct damage ability that will always do high damage COMPARATIVELY due to the weapons players will use to inflict it. 

2. Remove added miss modifier to bows.

3. Adjust high circle spells back to reasonable damage levels.

We can debate the merit of adding additional systems once the current system is updated to be relevant with our current health pool.

~Plutarch

Datrav

GM NollKoll

Quote from: Mercathane on April 21, 2014, 03:16:57 PM
1. Simply test AI at different decreased modifiers.  A reasonable damage can be reached quickly in this way.  It should still be a direct damage ability that will always do high damage COMPARATIVELY due to the weapons players will use to inflict it. 

2. Remove added miss modifier to bows.

3. Adjust high circle spells back to reasonable damage levels.

1. changed weapon abilities dmg again, give me a nice report when patch goes live
2.cant find any miss modifiers to bows?
3.done, feel free to give me a nice report on this later, test it vs players. And have in mind that mindblast does extra dmg with stat difference, i could temp. help some testing players out with statballs to try out the new dmg on mindblast
But..

Thatperson

when I cast on myself im doing average 24 damage with 3rd circle fireball.. 22 damage with 5th circle mind blast.. 44 damage with 6th circle e bolt.. 42 damage with 6th circle explosion and 62 with 7th circle flamestrike. so that makes mind blast weaker than fireball, glad to see it getting some attention :) especially as its the only cold damage spell and if you bring in an anti spam system where we have to alternate damage types mind blast will be even more usefull.
heres a quick thought on armour ignore, many will hate me for this, but think about it.. so.. ai is the daddy of specials, and fair enough, it does exactly what it says on the tin, it ignores your armour, so its worth an extra 70% damage. the problem isn't neccesarily the move itself but the spammable nature of it with large mana pools and leeches. id say rather than have it take a specific amount of mana it could be that it takes 50% of your mana no matter how much you have with a minimum limit of 30 mana, so if you had 200 mana, the first ai would take 100 and leave you with 100, the second would take 50 and leave you with 50, the third would take 25 and leave you with 25 so youd have to regen 5 mana before you had the 30 needed for your 4th ai, which would take 15 and leave you with 15. in this way it could never be spammed more than 3 times at 200 mana or 5 times at 500 mana, any mana leeches you get could allow extras to be slipped in so you could get a lucky streak but you could never guarantee being able to do it more than 3-5 times in a row without recharging your mana. using a % value means that it can still be used with low mana (30) but would be very costly if repeated from high mana.
that way it could be deadly but expensive, some thought would have to be put into using it at the right time for maximum effect.
just a thought :)

Mercathane

Nollkoll, what level spells and above did you adjust? Just want to know where I should start my testing.  Are just the magery spells adjusted, or do we need to test all the spells across the other schools as well.

Thanks.

~Plutarch

GM NollKoll

Quote from: Mercathane on April 22, 2014, 12:57:48 PM
Nollkoll, what level spells and above did you adjust? Just want to know where I should start my testing.  Are just the magery spells adjusted, or do we need to test all the spells across the other schools as well.

Thanks.

when the patch goes live, i will note which spells.. But after it goes wide, feel free to test all existing spells if you got time and desire to do that ^^
But..

Pandora's New Global Chat

Updates & Events

White Walker Invasion Event by Miki McNaughty
[June 03, 2020, 03:52:32 AM]

Community

Need help please by Konan
[October 02, 2023, 12:49:41 PM]

Hi there, Im Coragin, my intro and a couple questions. by Coragin
[May 31, 2022, 01:16:13 AM]

Looking For Guild by Lovemachine100111
[May 06, 2022, 11:01:22 AM]

Saying Hello by Roxxorman